Howard County home proves that aging in place can be done with style and grace
This contemporary remodel is one of our more popular projects online, being added to over 4,000 ideabooks on houzz.com .The purpose of this project was to make a ranch style home functional in the future for the homeowners. There were safety concerns with the existing home and an extensive wish list to be incorporated.
Finding the Right Contractor for Universal Design
The homeowners met Joe Smith during a home show at the Howard County Fairgrounds. Joe an expert in aging in place design often gives seminars on the subject. They were impressed by their conversation with Joe, and decided to move forward with the project.
Client Goals for the Remodel:
Looking to stay in their existing home, but realizing they were getting older; the homeowners had an extensive list of priorities:
- Make the house more livable and more functional
- Larger dining room
- Washer & dryer on main level
- More counter space in the kitchen
- Improved entrance between the kitchen and garage (had an awkward & unsafe entrance into the home)
- Raised floor in living room to eliminate a dangerous step
Highlights of the Remodeling
- Beautiful hardwood floors were installed creating a great flow from the kitchen into the dining room.
- New KraftMaid, Huntington Series cabinets were installed with a Natural Maple finish.
- Baltic Brown granite counter tops were purchased from Rock Tops Granite & Marble in Owings Mills, MD.
- A matching back-splash was purchased from Chesapeake Tile & Marble in Owings Mills, MD..
- Stainless steel hood & glass top stove were installed.
- Semi-custom laundry cabinets with hidden washer and dryer were installed.
Video Testimonial from the Homeowners