Keeping our home clean and safe is of the utmost importance for our families. Most homeowners consider their home to be one of their largest investments and want that investment to continue to increase in value. One way to assure that you this is to maintain your family’s home. Maintenance includes winterizing your home for energy efficiency, as well as, preventing damage due to the winter climate in some areas. See some helpful winterizing tips are listed below.
Air Conditioning & Furnace
- Clean Exterior Condensing Unit (Part of
the HVAC) of Debris:Take a hose with the
spray head set to “jet” or the highest pressure you have and clean the fan blades and condensing coils clear of debris and dirt.
- Cover Condensing Unit:Left unprotected the condensing unit can be damaged by wet leaves and debris that contribute to rusting and freezing of internal components. Although these units are designed for outdoor use, covering them with a breathable waterproof cover made for that purpose goes a long way to extending the life and efficient performance of the unit.
- Give your furnace a test run through and make sure all systems are ” GO “.
- Replace the Air Filter.
- Call a professional if you have any difficulty or notice any issues.
Chimney and Fireplace
- Check that the chimney is clear of any nests from birds,squirrels or other animals.
- Check chimney draft. Make sure the chimney will draw up the fire and smoke properly. Test this by taking several sheets of newspaper and rolling them up. Then with the fireplace damper in the open position, light the newspaper in the fireplace. The smoke should rise up the chimney. If it doesn’t, you have an obstruction and need to call a professional in to clean the chimney of creosote and ash and possible debris.
- Hose bibs or sill-cocks, the exterior faucet needs to have its water supply turned off inside the house, and you also need to drain water from it by opening up the exterior faucet. And remember to disconnect your garden hoses from the sill cocks or outside faucets and drain them if you store them outside.
Gutters & Downs & Basement Area-ways
- Clean out any debris.
Check Sump Pumps to see if operational
- Call us for more ideas to maintain the beauty and efficiency of one of your greatest material asset.